A tiny spark is all it takes for the whole wildfire to start. A lot of corporates or companies tend to make a statement in the heat of the moment, only to regret later. This further leads to the long list of negative comments, losing customers, unhappy clients and so on. Considering this aspect, it is vital for the companies to keep their cool. It is wise to know that a company’s brand is entirely made by customers and clients alone. If you make them unhappy, get ready to burn with their never ending negative comments, feedback and so on. Addressing any issue in a humane manner is of paramount importance. This is what crisis communication services aim to do.
Well, you are not alone when it comes to dealing with a crisis that is related to your company. Obviously, it can get overwhelming as you have to keep a watch on what you say and do. Well, there is nothing to worry as mentioned are the ten major steps to managing a crisis communication:
1. Take Your Time – It is of paramount importance to not speak in the heat of the moment. There is every possibility of saying some things which you will regret later. Do not respond hastily. It is wise that you have planned your response before saying anything. A lot of businesses land in the soup without prior planning.
2. Inform Your Team – It is vital that you tell your team and brief them about the same. Even they should know what happened. Once this is done, wait before you respond.
3. Know What Happened – Get to the roots. Do not judge a crisis on a single comment. There might be something which you are not aware of. Know what does the public think, what happened exactly, what was the reaction and what are the channels that need your attention?
4. Understand the Impact on Business – A lot of businesses tend to respond without thinking without knowing its consequences for the firm. You have to think long term, know how will your decision affect the business, the brand reputation, revenue and so on.
5. Listen to Your Customers – Only a reliable company understands the importance of customers in building a reputation. Make use of social media monitoring tools and PR to know the media and community’s reaction.
6. Decide on The Corporate Position – Now that you are aware of what exactly happened and what its business impact, it becomes easier to know the position you need to take.
7. Make Use of Channels to Decide – A professional offering crisis communication service will help you determine the delivery channels to make a decision. This is done based on what and how your team needs to respond.
8. Get Your Word Out – Once you what you need to say and the channels being finalised, do not wait and get the message out.
9. Do Not Forget to Monitor the Reaction – Once the message is out, it is wise to know you have a lot to do and the job is not done. Monitor how the audience reacts to the message. This further helps you to take necessary steps based on the reaction.
10. A Great Learning Experience – All this crisis helps you learn more about it and also tells how to deal with it. This works great in case you experience the same crisis again.
These are ten major steps to crisis communication.